Friday, July 4, 2014

Honey pie? Quit pollen my leg!

I love pie! Pie is great! Everyone should eat pie. But I know so many people that hate to make pie. I understand, but that is not gonna stop me :P Usually I make fruit pies, so I wanted to try something a little out of the ordinary. The recipe I made is a Honey Pie, from my United States of Pie cookbook. Of course this book is awesome, because it's all about pies. The other thing I like about it is that there are no pictures. No unrealistic expectations of what everything is supposed to look like.


Honey Pie

3/4 c honey
1/4 c sour cream
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
pinch of salt

pie crust (Everyone has their own favorite, or just buy the roll-out stuff from the store, that's what I do when I'm feeling lazy!)

Preheat oven to 375ยบ.
One a well-floured surface, roll out the rough until it is about 1/8" thick and will fit a 9" pie plate. Pick up the rough and ease into the plate. Trim the edges of the dough to leave a 1" overhang. Fold the edges under, and then decoratively crimp the perimeter. Return the pie shell to the refrigerator to chill until the filling is ready.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, warm the honey until it is completely fluid. Once heated, the honey should have the consistency of heavy cream. Set aside.
In a medium sized bowl, combine the sour cream, eggs, vanilla, nutmeg, ginger, and salt, and whisk to blend. Add the warm honey, and whisk until thoroughly incorporated.
Remove the pie shell from the refrigerator, and pour the filling into the shell. Bake the pie for about 40 minutes, or until the filling is set. The filling will puff substantially while baking, but will collapse once you remove the pie from the oven. Let the pie cool to room temperature before enjoying.

I also made honey whipped cream to put on top, as seen in the photo! The pie looks just like a pumpkin pie, but less orange, when it's done. I highly recommend tenting your pie crust with aluminum foil, or getting a crust protector. I put it on right when the pie went into the oven, and as you can see the crust still got pretty brown. I would rather be safe with the crust edges then end up with burnt ones! This pie is very very easy to make, and I will definitely do it again. I did just use the roll out pie crust for this recipe. Since you get two rounds in a box, I just put my extra one in the freezer for the next time I want to make a single crust pie!

I'm finally catching up on my posts. This finishes off May, and I have three for June. July has started off extremely well! I have already made three recipes this month, and will be making another today. Halfway through the year and despite a slow start I have completed half (16) of my recipes, woohoo!

1 comment: