Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Not amazing, but not berry bad either.

I totally slacked off on my posting duties last month! I actually made two things, but I will post separately. The first one I did mid-month was Fruit Swirl Coffee Cake from my Bisquick cookbook. This one kind of turned out funny for me. First thing, it really felt more like a cobbler. With the way Bisquick is, that makes sense! Here's the recipe, then I will explain the complications:



Fruit Swirl Coffee Cake

4 c Bisquick
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c margarine or butter, melted
1/2 c milk
2 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
1 can (21 oz) fruit pie filling (any flavor)
1 c powdered sugar
2 tbs milk

  • Heat oven to 350. Grease jelly roll pan, or two square pans (or be like me and use a 13x9 pan). Stir all ingredients except pie filling, powdered sugar, and 2 tbs of milk in a large bowl until blended; beat vigorously 30 seconds.
  • Spread two-thirds of the batter (about 2 1/2 c) in the pan (or half of that in two pans). Spread pie filling over batter (filling may not cover batter completely). Drop remaining batter by tablespoonfuls onto pie filling. 
  • Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Mix powdered sugar and 2 tbs of milk until smooth; drizzle over warm coffee cake. (I totally forgot the frosting step.) Serve warm or cold.
First, for the pie filling I used a blackberry—yuuum! There were a ton of different ones at the store, so it could change all the time.
I think my troubles started with using a smaller pan. A jelly roll would have allowed it to spread out more and become thinner. So when I first cooked it I added on some time and it looked okay. I tried some of the corner and was happy with it...then the next day I got closer to the middle and it was a little doughy, as if it hadn't cooked properly. So it got thrown back in the oven the next day for another 20 minutes and seemed a lot better. The biscuity part just never seemed too happy sitting next to gooey pie filling after a day or so. Because of that, I think this would be awesome to do and serve/finish quickly. Even then, don't think Steven and I didn't eat that whole thing ourselves! I love blackberry, uh, anything. So it suited me just fine.

Next...pear me up with an alcoholic drink, and I can work wonders!

No comments:

Post a Comment